Saturday, October 10, 2009

Pre-race jaunt

Ran 8.23 miles today.  I know that you aren't supposed to 'make up' for lost miles.
Still I wanted to go over 40 this week and this run will get me there.
Plus as you will see it was VERY beneficial.

I ran 8:50, 8:51, 9:09, 8:07, 9:22, 8:25, 8:59, 8:50

Average heart rate 147!

But that includes walking on miles 2,3,5,7,8 - was still low even when running.
Absolutely zero foot pain.

It was a hilly course there and back to Prospect Park.
I took it real easy on the Down hills.

The key point had two faces - MAN running even 8:15 is SLOW!!!!
I got to my times by running marathon pace between walks
(tested my heart rate at marathon pace without stressing me out + providing plenty
of rest). More on this later.
And second I don't think that I can extensively run walk and make my time goal.
A minute walking is just too long or once per mile is too frequent.

So I resolved to run the first HALF slow, really slow.
It was very important to learn this and man I believe it. Heros are not made
out of sprinters in the first 10 miles!

Mentally I can run 8:15 or even 8:20 but I don't know if I can tolerate 8:25 or
even 8:30+ - I will get bored and frustrated. But I am SURE that can hold the pace,
sure of it. I was thinking that its the heat of the summer that killed me before
and the run walking that saved me.

That and the practical pacing lesson were very valuable lessons.

Tomorrow might be a bit more painful give the extra miles, but I figure that it
will better replicate the Big Day final miles.

Tomorrow I am going to take it easy. 3 mile warm up at 10 to start and the 9:30,
really easy, mile and a half out and back. 8:30 for the first two. 8:15 - 8:20
miles until the finish. Then a four mile cool down at any slow pace. If I feel
great I will run the final at 8:30 (hopefully). If I feel like walking,
I will walk - any time.

Tomorrow is the dress rehearsal - same ferry time. Will grab a cab to the ferry.
Same clothes ritual and plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment