Saturday, May 30, 2009

Brooklyn Half an emotionally taxing PR

There are so many ways that this race report could come together -

...I had a great race and crushed my PR by over 3 minutes...
...from mile 7 on-ward all I thought about was being done, which is unheard of in my training and rare in my race-running...
...I actually managed to maintain a very good pace while watching my heart rate like a hawk...
...it was hot for the first time this running year and that took a toll, despite the fact that I stayed in the shadows of the trees the entire time...
...while running I made an conscious effort to look around and enjoy the run, which I certainly did for the first 6 miles in Prospect Park...

and amazingly all would be true, completely or to some degree. I suppose that distance running is partially/entirely a brain game and I struck out today - and still managed to finish with a decent time. Tomorrow I'll go on my recovery run (3.5 - 4 miles at a snail's pace).

Race Name, Date Net
Time
Pace/
Mile
Overall
Place
Gender
Place
Age
Place
Age-
Graded %
Brooklyn Half
May 30, 2009
1:43:23 7:53 1638 1368 273 57.9 %

Mile Splits:

#1 7:35
#2 7:49
#3 7:29
#4 7:22
#5 7:50
#6 7:50
#7 7:29
#8 7:38
#9 7:52
#10 8:00
#11 8:05
#12 8:39
#13 8:43
#13.1 0:54

Since I consider it a 'bonk' if I'm running slower than 8 min miles in these distance races (who knows what my marathon pace will be) I wasn't too happy with the last three mile paces. The 7th mile onward are one of on the world's flattest roads (see previous post). Positive was that I could see the mile markers coming a quarter away, but there were more disadvantages.

Average heart rate - 177 bpm (I had to slow it down on the end to keep my heart rate from ticking into the mid 180's. I was religious about 'following my heart' on this race slowing down every time I ticked up. Actually I'm AMAZED that my heart rate on average was that low. Felt much higher during the race and was certainly so on the last few miles...still the average is the average. High was 188.

Who knows where we go from here. Seriously, this race was a wake up call. Either I've got to take my training up a notch or retire from this attempt at this year's Marathon. Only time will tell. I'm not going to give up racing and I really like the half distance. I just can't see myself running another one of those after having run the first half, if you get my drift here.

Another thing - I am going to crush this time in the Nike 1/2 in August. It is just going to happen, must happen. I've got to get a hold of those last two miles - sure I was 30 seconds faster than I was in the Bronx a couple of months ago, but that was a hilly course that I didn't know before I ran it.

In the 'yada yada' department - it's been brutal around my house for sleeping lately. Mostly because of our little one's 'sleep training'. I don't believe in excuses, but this is a fact. let's hope that we're in a better spot in a few months time for the Nike Half (which will be hellishly hot, pray for a cold snap).

Final thought - this is by far the best my legs have felt after a long run/race - so that's a real glimmer of hope here. I've got to get out there on the streets more often and cut down on the excuses!

1 comment:

  1. Your Marathon pace if you keep up the training will be around 8:50 or higher I guess. Around mile 22 in the Bronx will make your last three miles in Brooklyn feel like your first mile on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete