Wednesday, July 8, 2009

5 mile tempo run - Manhattan to Brooklyn Bridges

This week I have four 5 milers to run - thus I'd like to mix it up a little bit. Today's plan was to run a slow first mile and then cook for the following 3 miles. I was hoping to push down into the 7 minute mark, a number that I didn't even come close to.

It took me around 8:15 on the first mile (down hill largely). I ran the next three miles, including the two bridges in 25 minutes. The last mile, which was a relaxing chill out to home (heart rate dropped MORE than 10 bpm) was 7:39. This may reflect the fact that the last 'mile' was short (most likely). It was also very, very flat - something that the other miles were NOT.

Overall a nice run and a good way to start out the week. Feet continue to be a slight bit raw. The rest of me feels fantastic. The long run this weekend is only 10 miles, so I'm looking forward to a relatively relaxed week, all told.

Average speed - 8:13 min/mile
Average Heart rate - 165 bpm (very low for me relative to the exertion that I felt)
perhaps not low relative to my over all speed, if compared to runs/races in Central Park; no climbs like the bridges in Central Park (outside of Harlem Hill).


No comments:

Post a Comment