Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fourth of July 13 mile blowout

Slow and steady wins the race and today I managed to do just that - ran slow to begin and managed to keep the pace pretty steady - without too much 9:30 miles in there. Legs don't hurt - averaged 166 bpm, which is excellent considering the heat. Wore my fuel belt with around 36 oz (9 x 4) of water. Consumed 2 gels during the run and one before - just basically took it easy and enjoyed the scenery - which was impressive with all the folks hanging out and partying on the big day. Brooklyn is cool and much more laid back in many ways that Manhattan - or the part that I knew well...



Details:

13 miles
1:51
Pace calculated at 8:31 - which is just fine by me
FYI - tried a new 'lubing' technique which worked much better. Not going to give the details, but I wore my Summer tights without the typical mid-line raffe rubbing that I typically get - this kind of stuff will be a life saver during the actual race. Plus I just put in an order for BodyGlyde after reading about it on Run, Paul, Run's blog - that should work even better.

My feet and legs feel great. Tomorrow I'll try to run a short (~4 mile) recovery run at somewhere in the 135 - 145 range. Man that will feel slow, but luckily I don't have very far to go - let's see if I can get it done in less time than I did the 1/2 today.

All in the best I've felt on a run in a long, long time. And certainly the best I've felt on a long run ever. Ran on the dirt in Prospect Park to take it easy on the joints...but that was only for two miles or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment